8.18.2010

Website allows students to wager on their grades

Where was this site when I was a student? I would have loved this -

http://www.ultrinsic.com/

College students can wager, gamble, bet, whatever synonym you want to employ on the grades they will receive at the terms end - students submit past transcripts to determine their odds for their grades - this could be an incentive for students to perform - or to prove they can gamble- this is incredible - if you know me you know why

The creator of the site explains how it began: "While hanging out together one Sunday afternoon, I mentioned to my friend Steven Wolf that I had an exam the following day and that if I were to study I was sure to get an A. (At the time, I was a student at University of Pennsylvania.)  But I was enjoying my Sunday afternoon, and I told Steven that I had no intention of studying. That's when, in order to provide me with motivation, we made the following agreement: If I got an A on the exam, he would give me $100, and if I didn't get an A, I would give him $20. Steven and I quickly realized that lots of other students might like this kind of motivation.  To that end, we began developing what is now Ultrinsic Motivator Inc." - Jeremy Gelbart 

No comments:

Post a Comment